Friday, July 6, 2012

A Few Things I've Learned About Photography

1. Enjoy what you are shooting! It's like when you draw, design, write or do anything you don't love or even remotely like - it's going to show through onto the final product

2. Write tips and help teach others. I've remembered more in the last two weeks from showing/teaching others and it's STUCK then when I'm trying to teach myself.

3. Never compare yourself to others (in better or worse context). You just get hung up, deflated and demotivated. See my previous blog post - A Tale of Jealousy & Laziness

4. Do something different to renew your creativity!

5. The best equipment is what you have now. I shot for years with a Nikon D40. The difference between the images I got with it, over the images I get in the first years of my D700 are the fact that I loved that camera, I had it. My images didn't improve (at first) with an expensive camera. The fact is, you have a camera, learn how to use it to the best of it's ability and go shoot!

6. This relates to the previous one - you are not your camera, just like a chef is not their kitchen

7. Always remember what brought you to photography. What was the first thing that made you dive head first?

8. Always turn around!

9. Don't be afraid to get dirty!

10. Be patient. The shot will come

11. Eyes are drawn to contrast. Keep this in mind when shooting!

12. Break the rules of photography knowingly - but not your camera!

13. It's who's behind the camera, not the camera itself.

14. Don't worry what someone else may say about your image, if you love it, it's worth sharing

15. You learn to see beauty in everything, from every angle

16. There is always a photograph, somewhere to be taken

17. It doesn't have to be perfect! If it means something to you then keep it!

18. The best camera is the one you have on you

19. Don't isolate yourself from other photographers - you can learn so much from them!

20. Develop your own style. Sit down and work out what makes you happy, what jumps out and makes your photography brand you!

21. Find challenging, motivational blogs by other photographers worldwide!
My favourites include - Imaginale DesignBehind the LensPhoto LoveCat - Free Photog Business Resources

22. Join a group of photographers local to you that are willing to get together and talk, swap tips & ideas and motivate you!

23. Get Pintrest - it's great for putting together shoot ideas, inspiration and everything else! It's really helped me (mine btw is Emorelia on Pintrest)

24. Like amazing photographers on Facebook, so they come up on your feed often and inspire and challenge you! I love Jose VillaRachel BrenkeElena Kalis and Brittany Lealand

25. Don't be afraid to try something new, if it's only because you're afraid to fail. The below image of the adorable little boy, is one of my favourite images. This is from my first ever newborn shoot, and I was so nervous that it wasn't going to turn out and it would be a shipwreck. Well, turns out they're the images I'm most proud of so far!






Emily.










No comments:

Post a Comment